Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Week One: Washington Redskins vs. Dallas Cowboys.

The inaugural post goes to the local team.

This being D.C., I have this notion that I won’t have to go far to find Redskins fans to enjoy the game with. My reasoning’s sound: It’s the season opener, a nationally televised game against the archrival Cowboys, and the debut of their first franchise quarterback in forever. This is a BIG DEAL. Two hours before kick-off I’m still holding out hope for an invite from the neighbors to join them in a cookout and a case race to give the event its due (mm hm, my 30-something neighbors with the newborn). Failing that, I head over to Capitol City Brewing Company in the Shirlington neighborhood of Arlington. A convenience pick, I’ll admit;  it’s just a couple miles from my apartment.
At 8:00, or T minus twenty until kick-off, Cap City is emptier and more Cheesecake Factory-like than I remember from my last visit. I count a handful of fans at the high top tables and a few more at the bar. The flatscreen to patron ratio is roughly 2:1 at this point. Bright side? There isn’t a bad seat in the house. Down side? Management  may not even bother lowering the volume on the Steely Dan that’s pumping out of the house speakers once the game starts. Bright side #2? It’s Steely Dan!
My bartender, Mike – one of three people in the whole place who has on a ‘Skins jersey, and an awfully nice guy -  has a theory as to why there isn’t a bigger crowd here: “Folks are either at FedEx or they got drunk during the early games and can’t drive over.” Fair enough. With this one sports bar in the Ballston mall in mind, I consider ducking out, but damned if I haven’t already ordered a hickory bacon burger, almost as a reflex.

Bartender Mike: "Folks are either at FedEx or
 they got drunk watching the early games."
Anyway. I’m here now. And dinner’s coming. I prod Mike for a season record prediction. He balks, not wanting to jinx it.  After some hemming and hawing he offers up 9-7, adding, “I don’t know if that’s realistic, but I want it to be.”
Once the game starts (note: music turned down, game audio on…nice), the fans in attendance echo Mike’s grounded optimism.
The Redskins follow a strong first defensive series with McNabb-led drive a deep into Boys’ territory.  When the possession ends in a FG, my fellow patrons applaud in genuine gratitude.  Appreciation for incremental victories. That’s a good sign.
A long reception by Chris Cooley in the second quarter draws a “COOOOOOOOO-ley” chant from some guys sitting a few stools down. Not sure why, but I love when fans seize on the “ooo's” . Bruuuuuce. Luuuuuke. COOOOOOOOOOOO-ley. +’Skins Fans.

By half time, when neither team's tacked on touchdown and it's clear this game will be won or lost 'ugly', the place clears out, somewhat. I don't hold it against them. This joint charges $6 for tap beers, and it's a school night; watching the second half from home is an acceptable call. And hopefully that's what they did, otherwise they'd have missed the highlight of the young season: a DeAngelo Hall strip and runback for a touchdown, which, along with a holding call on Dallas that negated a potential game winning reception, secures the 1 and Oh start for the 'Skins.

A defensive touchdown?
A physical play from DeAngelo Hall?
Praise Him!
My takeaways? The 'Skins fans I talked to are optimistic, but not unaware of this year's squad's limitations (long in the tooth, thin on offensive playmakers), and the team itself is an easy one to root for. Granted, I've been a McNabb fan since his Syracuse days, but in his new city, my man Donovan exudes a freshness that you feel good about. 
9-7? Eh. I don't see it. However I get the impression that most Redskins fans - and my research here is exhaustive, clearly - will be happy with less after years of drought.
A positive experience, all in all, and plenty of reason to give the 'Skins another look this season, for sure. 
Next Week:
Ravens vs. Bengals*
1:00 pm ET Kickoff
McFadden’s in Foggy Bottom

*Yep, a deviation from the schedule I gave you like, 5 minutes ago. My buddy Julian, a Baltimore fan, will be in town, and I gotta seize these opportunities to add color commentary to the experience. See you next week. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment